Topics covered in “Pets, People, & Paradise” include current events, holistic and natural tips and strategies that you can apply to yourself and/or your pets, book and movie reviews, meditative musical moments, and caller pet dilemmas with detailed answers straight from Dr. B.
In this episode of “Pets, People, & Paradise” …
- Dr. Basko, Patricia Howard, and Deb Alper talk about the recent ruling that orders the F.D.A. to restrict the use of antibiotics in agricultural animals. They also discuss a new study that indicates that green tea helps prevent obesity.
- Some of the caller topics include: Benefits of Omega-3 for pets, Omega-3 dosages for dogs and cats (and why fish oil is preferred over krill or flaxseed oil), and MRSA (staff bacterial infections in pets and people).
- Other topics include: the benefits of curcuma (turmeric) and the overuse of antibiotics in veterinary medicine.
- Musical Meditative Moment – Praise the World by Jennifer Berezan
- Featured Website – www.eatwild.com
- This website lists the farms and places you can buy fresh organic vegetables, eggs, cheese, milk and meat from animals raised on grass.
- Orchid Fever: A Horticultural Tale of Love, Lust, and Lunacy by Eric Hansen
- Fateful Harvest: The True Story Of A Small Town, A Global Industry, And A Toxic Secret by Duff Wilson
Recipe of the Week: Beets & Greens Smoothie
- 1 beet root
- 1/4 cup beet greens
- 1 carrot
- 1 cup kale
- 1 tablespoon nutrional yeast
- 2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup water
Mix using your blender/Vita-mix/hand-mixer, etc. Then add 1 or 2 tablespoons to your dog’s food (add more for larger dogs).
Give just 1 teaspoon per day to cats.
You can also freeze this mixture for later by freezing it in ice cube trays.
Each podcast is approx. 1 hour in length and can also be found on iTunes. Original air date: March 24, 2012.