Aloha and welcome to our site!
There’s a lot of stuff on the site that can help you, so check it out and feel free to get in touch if you have any questions. For your convenience, we’ve put together this guide on how to get started with holistic and natural care for your pet!
What is Holistic Medicine?
Holistic (veterinary) medicine is a method of approaching health and wellness that focuses on all components of an animal’s life in order to identify deficiencies, weaknesses, and other contributing factors of a particular health issue. It often goes beyond just the physical symptoms of an issue, so that the issue can not only be managed, but also resolved!
Health includes the body, mind, and spirit of the pet; thus holistic medicine will often examine the environmental, psychological, behavioral, and dietary background of an animal in order to formulate an action plan that best addresses each factor to expedite the healing process and ensure lasting health.
The holistic perspective of healing recognizes that the whole body must be in balance for good health to exist.
The main focus of holistic veterinary medicine is prevention of disease through natural diets, proper exercise and training, and vitamin and herbal supplementation.
Learn more about holistic medicine here, and why we recommend it over the traditional approach to pet health care.
Who is Dr. Basko?
Dr. Ihor Basko is the top dog here (haha), and has been practicing holistic veterinary medicine for over 35 years!
A leading authority on holistic animal health, Dr. B was one of the first to study the effectiveness of acupuncture in animals at UCLA, and is one of the founders of the Veterinary Botanical Medical Association.
He frequently lectures to veterinarians, animal trainers, and animal caretakers on the use of Holistic modalities in Hawaii, North America and Asia, and has published numerous articles, videos, and books on various holistic health care topics. Basically, he loves learning and is constantly researching, reading, and exploring all kinds of healing modalities to share with his clients and colleagues.
Clients know him as the “easy-going vet, who takes his time with the animals.” And because of his slow and gentle approach, he is often the only vet able to work with extremely sensitive animals (no muzzles or sedatives needed!).
Dr. Basko recognized early on that the best approach to health care was to create an environment that facilitated good energetic health. Thus, his primary care practice on the island of Kauai looks and feels more like a tropical spa than a typical pet hospital; with soft padding for animals to lay on while they receive their treatments, lots of natural sunlight and warmth, and calm music and sounds playing throughout the clinic.
And he wouldn’t have it any other way! :)
Learn more about Dr. B’s credentials and background here: About Dr. B
Check out Dr. B’s in-depth book on dog nutrition and diet therapy here: Fresh Food & Ancient Wisdom
What Should I Read First?
Great question! Below, you’ll find a list of our most popular and helpful articles, sorted into various categories.
Start Here For General Tips & Strategies for Dog Care
- Throw Me A Bone: 4 Tips For Feeding Bones To Your Dogs Safely
- 6 Ways To Keep Those Pearly Whites White (Teeth Cleaning For Dogs)
- What’s Holding You Back From Home Cooking For Your Dogs?
- How Your Dog Can Help You Become Your Best Self
- Fasting Is Good For Dogs Too!
- Should You Feed A Raw Diet?
Start Here For General Tips & Strategies for Cat Care
Start Here for Diet Therapy Advice & Nutrition Tips
- Why Fat is Actually Good For Your Pets
- Should You Feed A Raw Diet?
- Common Commercial Pet Food Brands – EXPOSED!
- 7 Reasons Why Premium Pet Food Isn’t Worth It
- How To Choose the Best Supplements For Your Pets
- Pet Food: A Dog’s Breakfast — A Documentary About the Commercial Pet Food Industry
- Functional Foods: How To Use Medicinal Mushrooms In Your Pet’s Diet
- Are Tomatoes Safe for Pets to Eat?
Start Here for Advice and Tips For Geriatric Pets
- Dealing with the Emotional Effects of Cancer in Your Pets
- Conventional Treatment Options For Cancer
- How to Address Cancer the Natural Way
- How to Help Pets With Arthritis or Musculoskeletal Problems Feel Better
Read This Section For General Emergency Prep Advice
- Top Natural Remedies For Digestive Emergencies
- Pet Safety Tips For A Natural Disaster
- Radiation Threats & Your Pets: How to Keep Your Family Safe
Look Over Here for Seasonal Pet Care Advice
- 8 Hot Tips To Keep Your Pets Cool in the Summer
- Springtime Tips for Keeping Your Pets Well-Fed & Happy
- Warm Up Your Dog’s Diet With These Winter Recipes
- 5 Holiday Recipes
- How to Safely Include Your Pets in Your Holiday Festivities
Alright! That about covers it! Are we missing anything? Is there a topic you’d like us to address in a future article? Let us know by sending us an email, or leaving a comment below.
Image via Andrew Morrell Photography